Gainesville has been slow to recover following the 2008 recession, but Greater Gainesville saw a flood of new development in 2016. Growth in the region shows no sign of slowing down in 2017 and the Alachua County area is flourishing with new developments.
1. BUTLER NORTH Butler North is a retail development expanding the existing Butler Plaza on Archer Road. The roadways are completed and 95 percent of the development is leased.
BUTLER ENTERPRISES 267 ACRE DEVELOPMENT, 2 MILLION SQ. FT. IN RETAIL SPACE SHOPATBUTLER.COM CLARK BUTLER BOULEVARD OFF OF ARCHER ROAD
2. 800 SECOND Class A Office Buildings at Innovation Square in downtown Gainesville.
CONCEPT COMPANIES 60,000 SQ. FT. CONCEPTCOMPANIES.NET INNOVATION SQUARE
3. FOUNDATION PARK Life Science Research Facility under construction in Alachua, FL. It will be across the road from the existing Progress Park, to provide more office and research space.
CONCEPT COMPANIES 42,500 SQ. FT. CONCEPTCOMPANIES.NET 14162 NW US HWY 441 ALACHUA, FL 32615
4. THE STANDARD The Standard will be new top-of-the-line student apartments at the corner of University and 13th street. The development includes 6,090 leased apartments, a Target, Starbucks and CVS. The Standard will also include a rooftop pool with cabanas and a tanning deck, a yoga/spin room, fitness center, racquetball court and a PGA-quality golf simulator.
CHW 62,000 SQ. FT. THESTANDARDGAINESVILLE. LANDMARK-PROPERTIES.COM 1404 W. UNIVERSITY AVE. #101 GAINESVILLE, FL 32603
5. UF HEALTH EXPANSION UF Health is building a specialty UF Health Heart & Vascular and Neuromedicine hospitals, which will be complete in 2017. The specialty hospitals will have 216 inpatient rooms, 20 operating rooms and 78 outpatient exam/ procedure spaces. UF Health is also constructing residency units for fellows and a guest house for the families of hospital patients.
UF HEALTH SHANDS 521,000 SQ. FT. BLUEPRINTS.UFHEALTH.ORG 1515 SW ARCHER RD GAINESVILLE, FL 32608
6. CELEBRATION POINTE A live-work-play community, boasting class A offices, hotels and a lifestyle center. A pedestrian walk will be line with shopping and dining options. It will be adjacent to a 700-acre wildlife conservation area.
VIKING COMPANIES 125-ACRE 1-MILLION PLUS SQ. FT. CELEBRATIONPOINTE.COM NORTHWEST CORNER OF I-75 AND ARCHER RD
7. DEPOT PARK – CADE MUSEUM FOR CREATIVITY AND INVENTION Depot Park is a 20-year project transforming a railroad hub into a new community park. The Cade Museum for Creativity and Invention will anchor the northwest point of the new park, and is expected to be completed in fall of 2017.
GAINESVILLE CRA 45,000 SQ. FT. DEPOTPARK.ORG 200 SE DEPOT AVE, GAINESVILLE, FL 32601
8. NIMBUS The Nimbus building will serve as the global headquarters for SharpSpring. It is an energy efficient building customized to fit SharpSpring’s unique business needs. It will be along the Rails to Trails path and is decorated with repurposed heart of pine.
TRIMARK PROPERTIES 15,000 SQ. FT. INNOVATION SQUARE
9. PUBLIX ON 13TH A new Publix will be built on 13th Street, after the removal of the old McDonalds. This new development will include a grocery, café and coffee shop to offer the people living and working at the University of Florida a new dining and shopping option.
CHW 39,000 SQ. FT. 201 NW 13TH ST
10. CORNERSTONE OFFICES A commercial-focused mixed-use development with up to ten buildings, aiming to retain Cornerstone graduates in East Gainesville and attract new businesses to the area. It will house Merienuex Nutrisciences, which plans to bring 75-100 new jobs to the area.
GAINESVILLE CRA 30,000 SQ. FT. GAINESVILLECRA.COM 2153 SE HAWTHORNE ROAD
11. INNOVATION HUB Innovation Hub is an incubator for business startups in downtown Gainesville that generates $700 million dollars a year. Some of its success stories include event marketing platform Feathr and Shadow Health, producer of health care education technology. The Hub will build Phase II in order to house startups not yet ready for commercial space.
THE UNIVERSITY OF FLORIDA 50,000 SQ. FT. BUILDING FLORIDAINNOVATIONHUB.UFL.EDU 747 SW 2ND AVE, GAINESVILLE, FL 32601
12. NW 1ST AVE. STREETSCAPE In order to upgrade the streetscape of NW 1st Avenue, the CRA will be moving utilities underground, planting 50 trees, adding 40 bicycle racks and 70 scooter parking spots, among more. In an effort to create a cleaner, more beautiful street, the CRA is also offer façade grants for local store owners to redo the front of their shops.
GAINESVILLE CRA 2,000 LINEAR FEET GAINESVILLECRA.COM BETWEEN NW 16TH STREET AND NW 20TH STREET
13. HEARTWOOD One very important redevelopment project linked to the Southeast Gainesville Renaissance Initiative (SEGRI) is the redevelopment of the former Kennedy Homes property. There are plans for 34 single-family houses and a revitalized Cornerstone office complex nearby.
GAINESVILLE CRA 15 ACRE HEARTWOODGNV.COM 1717 SE 8TH AVENUE
14. LEGACY PARK Alachua is building three multipurpose fields to accompany the Hal Brady Recreation Complex. The ultimate plan for Legacy Park includes two baseball fields, two dog parks, two Little League fields, a disc golf course, a tournament field, walking trails, tennis courts, and a multipurpose center containing indoor basketball and volleyball courts. It also includes a stage area for arts and culture activities and two multipurpose rooms that can be used for activities like yoga and aerobics.
CITY OF ALACHUA 40,000 SF MULTIPURPOSE BUILDING 105 ACRES TOTAL 14300 NW 146 TERRACE ALACHUA, FL 32615
15. PARK AVENUE APARTMENTS A traditional neighborhood development, Park Ave Apartments combines renting and retail. Organized into blocks, the 298-unit community boasts a beach-entry pool, dog park, fitness center and a developing shopping strip. Dunkin’ Donuts has already leased one unit of the retail block and construction on the apartments has almost finished.
FRONT STREET COMMERCIAL REAL ESTATE GROUP LIVEPARKAVE.COM 3800 NW 79TH STREET, GAINESVILLE, FL 32606